Your Cart is Currently Empty
11 Things to Know About Erotic Electrostimulation
Erotic electrostimulation refers to using specially designed machines to apply electrical stimulation to the genitals for sexual pleasure. Often referred to as "e-stim" by those who partake in it, it can be a very dangerous and even lethal practice if not done correctly.
Dr. Sherry A. Ross, OBGYN, and author of She-ology: The Definitive Guide to Women's Intimate Health. Period., explains that any electric power source that can generate heat can cause burns, heart arrhythmias, and even death. She suggests that for those interested in e-stim, you educate yourself on the risks, and never practice e-stim while pregnant.
Brooke Faught, a nurse practitioner and Clinical Director of the Women's Institute for Sexual Health, explains that electrostimulation is used in a variety of medical capabilities to treat issues ranging from spastic or weak muscles to overactive bladder. "When used in a safe and appropriate manner, these devices are quite safe with minimal potential for harm. The concern lies in the potential for someone to use a device that is not designed for human use. If a person were to receive excessive stimulation, they might experience pain, cramping, and other potential musculoskeletal or neurological consequences," she explains.
You should also keep in mind that genitalia can be more sensitive to stimulation than other parts of your body, so it's probably getter to start out slower and amp up the intensity as you get used to it. E-stim can be dangerous and this article is not a “how-to” guide but rather some things to keep in mind should you research further:
- Practiced incorrectly, e-stim can be fatal.A New York man electrocuted himself while masturbating in 2012. A Pennsylvania man wasaccused of involuntary manslaughter in 2008, after he admitted to electrocuting his wife with a homemade e-stim setup using a hairdryer. The hairdryer caused the 29-year-old woman to have a heart attack.
- You should also never stim while on drugs or alcohol, as these can increase an individual’s threshold for pain, which means you might use too much intensity, Faught explains.
- Make sure you only use e-stim devices designed for human use that offer graduated intensity and safety shut-off features.You should never use a home-made unit.
- It's also a good idea to have a partner and safe word established before play, just in case.
- You should only use water-based lube when e-stimming.Silicone and oil-based lubes can act as insulators, which is the opposite effect that you're going for with e-stim. "E-stim needs a safe lubricant to prevent the risk of high-current skin burning, so electro-conductive water-based gelsare recommended," Dr. Sherry explains.
- According to those who practice e-stim, the feeling varies. a 29 year old woman who enjoys e-stim, explains, “On the light end it feels like a tickling or tingling sensation, on the more intense end it can feel like a rubber band snapping against your skin. Like when you shock someone with static electricity, but more intense.”
- What kind of device can make a difference in sensation. Heidi, CEO of an e-stim shop explains that low frequency therapy devices can feel like zapping or stinging. Higher frequency devices with denser accessories like rubber or steel are “smoother” and focus the muscle contractions better.
- Correct e-stimming practices shouldn’t leave any marks or bruises.Dr. Sherry says that burns can be the most common form of injury but using electro-conductive gels can help minimize this complication.
- It takes a while to get there.Another user says that a “hands-free orgasm is just about the coolest thing e-stim has to offer, but it takes some time and patience to get there.”
- You should stay away from cheap e-stim units you can find at your local sex shop.E-stim expert who goes by the Reddit handle “medfetfan” explains: “If there’s a scantily clad person on the box, they are usually cheaply made and won’t deliver a very good experience.” A proper e-stim unit can be a bit of an investment, but buying a reputable machine is worth it.